BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY – INTERNAL AUDIT DEPARTMENT
STUDENT EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bucknell University is seeking a student currently enrolled in the Bucknell University School of Management to work in Bucknell’s Internal Audit Department during the 2018 – 2019 school year. The student filling this position will be exposed to various audits in financial, information technology, compliance and other audit areas gaining experience in assessing risk, performing audit procedures, preparing workpapers, evaluating audit findings and writing audit reports.
Many accounting firms are in search of students with work related experience, especially in regards to familiarity with audit standards and audit processes. This opportunity offers broad and valuable experience for the successful candidate to practical financial and operational procedures.
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of and reporting to the Director of Internal Audit, the student may perform any of the following:
- Assist in the examination and evaluation of the adequacy and effectiveness of the University’s system of internal controls in regards to financial, information technology, and operations.
- Assist in the review of the reliability and integrity of financial and operating information and the means used to identify measure, classify, and report such information.
- Assist in the review of the systems established to ensure compliance with those policies, plans, procedures, laws, regulations, and contracts which could have a significant impact on operations and reports, and determine whether the University is in compliance.
- Assist in the review of the means of safeguarding assets and, as appropriate, verifies the existence of such assets.
- Assists in the review of the operations or programs to ascertain whether results are consistent with established objectives and goals and whether the operations or programs are being carried out as planned.
- Assist in the gathering of necessary information to perform the audit in a professional manner and in accordance with the approved audit program.
- Assist in the preparation of working papers which record and summarize data on the assigned audit segment in accordance with professional standards.
- Assist in the recommendation of corrective actions and suggestions for improvements to operations and reductions in cost.
- Perform any other duties within the scope of the Internal Audit Department as assigned by the Director of Internal Audit.
- EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Juniors or Seniors whose major is in Accounting, Finance or any business-related field in Bucknell University’s School of Management interested in pursuing a career in public accounting or auditing are encouraged to apply. At a minimum, candidates must have completed Foundations of Accounting and Financial Management I & II and be pursuing their bachelor’s degree, having a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.20.
III. ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The selected candidate will be required to sign a Confidentiality Statement due to the nature of the work involved. Candidate must have the ability to keep all information and conversations related to audit projects and University data in the strictest confidence.
- Candidates should be organized, observant, and detail-oriented.
- Computerized spreadsheet and word processing competency is required, along with problem-solving skills.
- The selected candidate must be able to demonstrate efficiency and time management skills. Flexibility and ability to change focus quickly is important.
The student typically works 5 – 10 hours per week. Hours worked weekly will vary depending on the nature of the audit work assigned but will not exceed 10 hours per week. Working hours are highly flexible around class schedules and other school related activities. Students are not required to work during semester breaks or during fall and spring breaks.
The position pays $12.00 hourly.